These pancakes are moist and super-fluffy! They are perfect for a Sunday-morning breakfast or brunch, and even yummy when you make breakfast-for-dinner! Make the caramelized bananas if you are in the mood for a delicious addition to your pancakes.
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)
2 cups buttermilk (or skim or low-fat milk mixed with 1 tblspn of vinegar or lemon juice)
1 tablespoon butter, melted
1 tablespoon applesauce or vegetable oil
1 large egg
Caramelized Bananas (optional)
2 bananas, chopped into one-inch chunks
1 cup maple syrup
1. In medium bowl, whisk together buttermilk, melted butter, applesauce, and egg.
2. In another medium bowl, combine flours, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
3. Add flour mixture to buttermilk mixture. Mix until just combined; batter should be a little lumpy.
4. Grease a nonstick skillet or griddle and set to medium-high heat. Pour about 1/3 -1/2 cup batter per pancake onto the griddle. When tiny bubbles begin forming on the tops of the pancakes, they are ready to be flipped, 2-3 minutes per side.
5. Meanwhile, heat the maple syrup and bananas in medium skillet over medium heat. Cook until mixture is bubbly and hot, about 5 minutes.
6. Serve pancakes immediately with caramelized bananas on top.